Camp Gladiator (CG) is an award-winning outdoor group fitness program, featuring a network of more than 1,000 independent trainers that leverage the CG platform to serve 80,000 members (customers) across 7 states primarily in the southern United States. Founded in 2008, its recent six consecutive annual appearances on the Inc. 5000 list illustrates its growth rate and positive impact on the physical fitness and lives of individuals around the country! Camp Gladiator is a heavily mission-focused company, and it is critical that all of its leaders can personally connect with its impactful mission statement and enduring core values of teamwork, positivity, loyalty, integrity, and passion. CG employees think of themselves as family, and we are looking to add a team member that values this type of environment!
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Camp Gladiator is seeking a Controller to lead its accounting department. This individual will be in a strategic position to impact processes, reporting, and people development as our dynamic company continues to grow and develop. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will lead an existing accounting team of four individuals in core accounting responsibilities, and will collaborate across functional departments to ensure our accounting processes, practices, systems, and team members are serving the current needs of the company as well as preparing it for the future. The accounting department, together with the finance department, recently codified three shared values between the departments: a “learning & growth mindset”, “extreme ownership & do-what-you-say-you-will-do”, and “efficient accuracy”. The Controller will be expected to align with and pursue these values as well.
The Controller will own the ultimate creation of accurate financial reporting, will manage the annual external audit, and will serve as the primary point of contact for all tax-related issues. They will serve as an internal consultant and department representative throughout the company on a variety of areas including accounting processes, accounting tools, financial reporting, independent contractor payments, and other related matters.
Additionally, this individual will be in a position to influence the design of proprietary-built accounting software applications and tools that uniquely drive the CG business model.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
The ideal candidate will possess solid accounting and technical skills, including:
- 10+ years experience in accounting
- At least 3 years of experience in an controller, assistant controller, or accounting manager role
- Experience managing a small to medium-sized accounting team including general accountants and accounts payable coordinators
- Strong grasp of current U.S. GAAP and heavy experience maintaining accounting processes, financial reporting, and internal controls congruent with its provisions
- A demonstrated ability to maintain knowledge of current accounting principles, interpret FASB pronouncements, determine their applicability to the business, and implement needed accounting policy or process changes
- A licensed CPA is preferred, but candidates possessing a verifiable history of significant technical accounting proficiency applied inside of complex business model environments will be considered
- Strong experience with internal controls assessment and design
- Solid base of inventory accounting experience, and experience with designing and monitoring proper inventory controls
- Able to analyze and document processes, and comfortable with leveraging technology, including proprietary systems, to address intra-department or cross-departmental process problems
- Exposure to multi-state sales and use tax management and reporting
- Substantial experience in working with NetSuite, Intacct, or other mid-market or enterprise accounting systems such as Sage, Microsoft Dynamics/Great Plains, SAP or Oracle. Candidates with only QuickBooks experience will not be considered.
- Experience with software system implementation and experience integrating third party tools into accounting software systems
- Advanced MS Excel and strong data analysis skills
- Experience working with SQL or other relational databases, and compiling and working with large sets of data
The ideal candidate profile will also have operational experience, demonstrated by:
- Diverse industry experience, and experience in a consumer business is a huge plus (such as retail operations, human or personal services, or consumer subscription-based business models)
- Experience in different sizes of organizations preferred, such start-up environments and in larger or mid-market business environments
- A proactive, driven, yet humble approach to department and business-level challenges and opportunities, and experience working in dynamic environments of great change and growth
- Strong analytical, solutions-oriented approach with exposure to complex systems and processes
- Experience working with a small, separate finance department on mutual deadlines, objectives and projects
- Understanding of independent contractor relations and related accounting operations
- High-volume vendor payment experience (hundreds of regular payees)
- High-volume experience paying independent contractors or employees on a cyclical basis
- Experience with employee payroll and benefits coordination with human resources
Finally, ideal candidate profile will bring strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by:
- Excellent communication and cross-functional collaboration, appropriately addressing conflict, and working through complex projects involving multiple departments
- Leadership skills evidenced by a track record of encouraging, mentoring, coaching, and leading their team members; proven experience developing team members’ technical knowledge and “soft” skills; this includes creation of formal training materials and delivery of training as needed
- An ability to move with a sense of urgency when needed, while also sensing when to “slow down in order to speed up later”
- A history of humbly receiving performance improvement feedback, followed by an appropriate response to improve needed growth areas, as well as experience in preparing and delivering performance reviews to team members
- A personal commitment to lifelong growth and development, both in areas of technical/functional knowledge as well as personal and leadership growth
- Strong commitment to cultural involvement/participation and investment, both at the team and company level – we are a fun place!
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Plan with Semi-annual Payout Opportunities
- Major Medical Insurance
- Wellness Program (with generous HSA contributions or medical premium reductions)
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- 401(k) retirement account with Match Opportunity
- Casual & Fitness Professional Dress Code
- Free CG Membership
- Our “Out of Office Benefit” functions as an “open/unlimited PTO” plan
Cultural & Development Opportunities:
- A company-developed Leadership Intensive program involving all manager and functional leaders—a monthly seminar-style gathering where external and internal leaders teach on various matters across leadership and business acumen topics
- A weekly 45 minute company “all hands” meeting each Wednesday morning where company updates, news, education, and often a great deal of fun occurs!
- Semi-annual “fun days” where all headquarters teams goes off-site for activities such as paddle boarding, escape room, meals, improv, tubing down a river, etc.!
- Wide array of regular on-site culture activities throughout the year, such as a chili cook-off, thanksgiving potluck together, dressing up on Halloween, and lots of other random fun!!
Any offer of employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Due to the great number of resumes we receive, regrettably, we are unable to respond individually to each person interested in a position or answer inquiries regarding the status of a particular resume. If there is interest in interviewing you for an available position within our company, a representative from Camp Gladiator will contact you in the near future.